2004 was a midterm election year in the United States.
- The funeral of Owen Lassiter
- United States congressional election, 2004
- Evelyn Baker Lang Becomes the New Chief Justice of the Supreme Court
Events of The West Wing
- early January : events of The Stormy Present
- mid January : events of The Benign Prerogative
- late January : events of Slow News Day
- late January-late December : events of The Warfare of Genghis Khan, An Khe, Full Disclosure, Eppur Si Muove, The Supremes, Access.
A major gap in the timeline occurs in this season, wherein a year is skipped. This was done for various reasons: most of the actors in the show had expiring contracts, and the producers were reluctant to keep the show going for another season due to falling ratings and viewer fatigue.