Bruno Gianelli was the Campaign Manager for President Bartlet's second term. He later switched sides and managed the Vinick campaign. Gianelli is often portrayed as a political shark and opportunist, sticking with the side that is most likely to win.
Bruno has managed to get 5 senators, 3 governors, and the Prime Minister of Israel elected. He has been involved in professional politics for 24 years.
Bruno works with Connie and Doug for the Bartlet re-election campaign. He and his staff did not get along very well with President Bartlet's staff at first.
Gianelli worked on the Vinick-Sullivan campaign in the highest circle of advisers to Senator Vinick. Early in the campaign he was confident that Senator Vinick could "win 50 states" if Vinick did as Gianelli advised, though as the campaign wears on his confidence erodes in his fifty-state strategy.
- ❝Because I am tired of working for candidates who make me think I should be embarrassed to believe what I believe, Sam. I'm tired of getting them elected. We all need some therapy, because someone came along and said that liberal means "soft on crime." Soft on drugs. Soft on communism. Soft on defense. And we're gonna tax you back to the stone age because people shouldn't have to go to work if they don't want to. And instead of saying, 'Well, excuse me, you right-wing, reactionary xenophobic, homophobic, anti-education, anti-choice, pro-gun, Leave-it-to-Beaver-trip-back-to-the-fifties!' we cowered in the corner and said, 'Please. Don't. Hurt. Me.' No more. I really don't care who's right, who's wrong. We're both right, we're both wrong❞
- ❝Leo, the only races I've ever lost are the ones where the candidate didn't listen, or the advice didn't get through❞
- ❝ Bruno – Don't tell anyone, but I do respect the voters. That's why I win. I find out what they care about. I don't try to tell them what they care about
- Vinick – That's not exactly my idea of leadership
- Bruno – No, but it's my idea of democracy❞
- — Hiring pratices
Notes and references