Template:EpisodeNewStory Sam and Toby are dispatched to Connecticut for some damage control and to secure the secret release of President Bartlet's primary choice for the Supreme Court, who has been jailed for alleged drunk driving and resisting arrest. Meanwhile, Josh is a guest lecturer at a college class to talk about working for the President and he recounts the previous week's flare-ups, which include: his feeble attempt to fill in as the White House spokesman at a press conference where he promises that the President has "a secret plan to fight inflation," and the media glare that engulfs the African-American HUD secretary who publicly labeled a prominent Republican as a racist.
- Rob Lowe as Sam Seaborn
- Moira Kelly as Mandy Hampton
- Dulé Hill as Charlie Young
- Allison Janney as C.J. Cregg
- Richard Schiff as Toby Ziegler
- John Spencer as Leo McGarry
- Bradley Whitford as Josh Lyman
- Martin Sheen as President Josiah Bartlet
- CCH Pounder as Deborah O'Leary
- Timothy Busfield as Danny Concannon
- Janel Moloney as Donna Moss
- Robert David Hall as David Nessler
- Vaughn Armstrong as Sgt. MacNamara
Special Appearance By
- NiCole Robinson as Margaret Hooper
- Kim Webster as Ginger
- Melissa Fitzgerald as Carol Fitzpatrick
- Devika Parikh as Bonnie
- Jacqueline Torres as Reporter Sondra
- Charles Noland as Reporter Steve
- Diana Morgan as Reporter Jesse
- Kris Narmont as Reporter Katie Witt
- Victor Love as Reporter Mike
- Jason C. Morgan as Peter
- Bob Thompson as Billy
- J.P. Stevenson as Reporter Jonathan
- Kelly Fialing as Pretty College Student
Sam and Toby walk into a Connecticut police station to spring their Supreme Court nominee. When they introduce themselves as presidential aides, the duty officers don't believe them until the senior man recognizes Toby from a picture, with the President in the Oval Office, that appeared in that day's paper. Three seasons later, in the Christmas episode Holy Night, we see Toby's father, Julie Ziegler, admiring the same front page that has found its way into a frame and onto the wall in Toby's office. 
The exterior of the police station in is the show's post-production office. 
- Josh Lyman: There's no such thing as a typical day. There's a schedule and a structure to be sure. And to a certain extent it starts off as a 9-5 job, but it's blown to hell by 9:30.
- Charlie Young: Sir, I need you to dig in now. It wasn't a nightmare, you really are the president.
- Toby Ziegler: Hello, Mr. Justice. How are you?
- Judge Roberto Mendoza: Incarcerated, Toby, and how are you?
- Josh Lyman: Uh, long story short you're going to be reading a bit today about your secret plan to fight inflation.
- President Josiah Bartlet: I have a secret plan to fight inflation?
- Josh Lyman: No.
- President Josiah Bartlet: Why am I going to be reading that I do?
- Josh Lyman: It was suggested in the press room that you do.
- President Josiah Bartlet: By who?
- Josh Lyman: By me.
- President Josiah Bartlet: You told the press I have a secret plan to fight inflation?
- Josh Lyman: No, I did not. Let me be absolutely clear I DID NOT do that. Except yes, I did that.
- President Josiah Bartlet: Josh, I'm a little confused.
- Josh Lyman: Sir, there was this idiotic round robin. It was sarcastic! There's no way they didn't know that. They were just mad at me for imposing discipline and calling them stupid!