Template:EpisodeNewTitle A newly energized President Bartlet bucks tradition and throws down the gauntlet when he names two Democrats -- both campaign finance reformers -- to the Federal Election Commission despite threats from his political opponents to introduce embarrassing legislation that would dare him not to sign. Early reactions to his announcement are not encouraging, especially from top-notch pollster Al Kiefer. However, Kiefer's arrival means his attractive cohort, Joey Lucas, accompanies him, and she again draws a smitten Josh's attention. Toby agrees to seek out his ex-wife, a breezy congresswoman, to gauge her response to any future narcotics legislation that would emphasize prevention over enforcement. Leo, uncomfortably aware of his own brush with drugs, agrees to be the Chief Executive's front man for positioning the high-voltage issue of revising the drug laws. 
- Rob Lowe as Sam Seaborn
- Moira Kelly as Mandy Hampton
- Dulé Hill as Charlie Young
- Allison Janney as C.J. Cregg
- Richard Schiff as Toby Ziegler
- John Spencer as Leo McGarry
- Bradley Whitford as Josh Lyman
- and Martin Sheen as President Josiah Bartlet
Special Guest Star
- Timothy Busfield as Danny Concannon
- John de Lancie as Al Kiefer
- Janel Moloney as Donna Moss
- Suzy Nakamura as Cathy
- Bruce Weitz as Senate Majority Leader
- Kathleen York as Rep. Andy Wyatt
- Bill O'Brien as Kenny Thurman
- Paul Provenza as Steve Onorato
- Kathryn Joosten as Mrs. Landingham
- NiCole Robinson as Margaret Hooper
- Chris Conner as Reporter Jack
- Melissa Fitzgerald as Carol Fitzpatrick
- [[Kris Murphy] as Katie Witt
- Kim Webster as Ginger
- Devika Parikh as Bonnie
- Charles Noland as Reporter Steve
- Mindy Seeger as Reporter Chris
- J.P. Stevenson as Reporter Jonathan
- Diana Morgan as Reporter Jesse
- Michael Luckerman as Aide #1 Stuart
- Paul Ehrmann as Aide Dick
- Diane Nadeau as Aide
- Karolyn Nishioka as Celia
When Toby is walking back to his office from the press room with his ex-wife, the ex-wife's tag and chain keeps changing through the entire sequence. Sometimes it's over her jacket and the tag's just hanging or it's under the jacket and the tag is sitting just inside her jacket. 
- Josh Lyman: Senator, take your legislative agenda and shove it up your ass.
- Josh Lyman: I'd like to clear up that I don't have suits for days of the week. This is just a regular suit.
- Sam Seaborn: It's a nice suit.
- Donna Moss: Sure it's a nice suit, it's his Joey Lucas suit.
- Josh Lyman: Donna!
- Donna Moss: I'm beginning to regret not getting the waffles.
- Leo McGarry: I am beginning to regret having hired any of you! We have a 42% job approval and you're talking about waffles and something with Josh I don't understand.
- Donna Moss: He's wearing a special suit for Joey Lucas.
- Leo McGarry: You got dressed up for a guy named Joey?
- President Joisah Bartlet: I'm sleeping better. And when I sleep I dream of a great discussion with experts and ideas and diction and honesty. And when I wake up, I think: 'I can sell that.